Goodman and Related Families of Albemarle County Virginia
County Formation and Boundary History
Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from the western part of Goochland Co. In 1761, Albermarle was divided, the southwestern part forming Amherst, and the southeastern part forming Buckingham. In addition, also in 1761, Albemarle gained the western part of Louisa Co. then known as as Fredricksville Parish.
Records from some some of these other counties are included here to demonstrate the point that the Goodmans often stayed in one place as the county boundaries changed. The most prominent of these was Charles Goodman, b ca 1741.
Goochland County Records in Albemarle County
- 17 Sep 1731, Robert Horsley, 400 ac on n. side of Rivanna beginning above the mouth of Horsley’s Creek. VA Pat. 14, 1728-32, p 329. ibid. p331, 400 ac on the upper side of the Little Byrd Creek.
Louisa County Records in Albemarle County
- 15 Dec 1752 Charles Goodman witnessed deed of land on Charles River, Louisa Co., VA Deed Book A, p. 516-517. Therefore probably at least age 21, and b. before 1732.
- 23 Jul 1757 Louisa Co., VA. Deed Book A, p. 209-210. Charles Goodman of Fredricksville Parish, Louisa Co. purchased 400 ac. on s. side of s. branch (Ivy Creek) of n. fork of James River (the Rivanna R.) in Fredricksville Parish from Thomas and Mary Hackett of Caroline Co. for £40. Mentions boundary of Roland Horsley’s corner on the River bank. Wit. Joseph Goodman, Bartlett Mills, Garrett Hackett. (This land is in that part of Louisa Co. that in 1761 became part of Albemarle Co. Charles Goodman later married before 1761, Elizabeth, a daughter of his neighbor Roland Horsley.)
- 16 Aug 1757 Charles Goodman witnessed deed in Louisa Co., VA.
- In 1757 and 1759, Joseph Goodman witnessed deeds in Fredricksville Par, Louisa Co.
Albemarle County Land Patents and Deeds
- 20 Aug 1747 John Goodwin, 350 ac, on south branch of Rock Island Creek, VA Land Office Patents and Grants, Pats. 28, 1746-49, p.144. (later in Amherst Co.). Rock Island Creek was located on the south bank of the James River.
- 20 Jul 1748 John Goodman, 400 ac, on s. side of James R., on the north branches of Slate R. VA Land Office Patents and Grants, Pats. 26, 1747-48, p.512. (later in Buckingham Co.)
- 20 Jul 1748 Robert Goodwin (possibly Goodman?), 325 ac, on s. side of James R., on the north branches of Slate R. VA Land Office Patents and Grants, Pats. 26, 1747-48, p.523. (later in Buckingham Co.)
- 15 July 1761 Rowland Horsley to Charles Goodman who married my daughter, Elizabeth – a slave, Roger. Wit. Jer. Burnett, Micajah Via, Bond Burnett. Albemarle DB 3, p. 92.
- 15 Aug 1764, Rowland Horsley, 236 ac on s. side of the Rivanna and on both sides of Ivy Creek … William Via’s line …to a pine in Louisa Co… on the county line … Thomas Moreman’s corner. VA Pat 36, 1764-67, p 625. (RG: This is at the Rivanna R., just N. of Charlottesville, now Hydraulic, and part of the Fork Rivanna River Reservoir. In 1966, the newly constructed South Fork Rivanna Reservoir flooded the junction of Ivy Creek and the Rivanna River, erasing all vestiges of this once vital community center. and probably submerging what were the Goodman and Horsley lands. re: History of Ivy Creek)
- 14 Nov 1771: At a vestry held for Fredericksville Parish ye 14th November 1771: (p. 97) Ordered that James Kerr, Joel Terrell, Wm. Lewis, David Allen, John Barnett, Charles Goodman, Fra. Grymes, Samuel Rea & William Shelton do procession all the lands between Mechams River down to Carrs ford. the Three notched Road, down to Lewis’s & the Fredericksburg Road. (Davis, p. 101) Same ordered
- 10 June 1773: William Via Sr. and William Via Jr. of the parish of Fredricksville and the County of Albemarle the one part sold to Charles Goodman of the county & parish aforesaid of the other part Two Certain Tracts of Land Situate lying and & being in the parish & County Aforesaid on the South Side of the South Branch of the North fork of James River at and above the mouth of Ivy Creek on the said River Containing seventy five acres in the First Tract and Twenty Six in the other Tract Which is the upper piece on the River Bounded by the said Chas Goodman To the River and the said River is the bounds on the Other side. (Albemarle Co., Va. DB 6:139) NOTE: Charles Goodman was the husband of Elizabeth Horsley, daughter of Rowland Horsley.
- 5 July 1774: Charles Goodman, VA Land Grant, 116 ac., both sides of Ivy Creek … Roland Horsley’s line …along Alexander Machie .. on his own line …
- 13 Nov 1783: At a vestry held for Fredericksville Parish the 13th day of November 1783 at Charlottesville …. (p. 119) Ordered that James Keer [is this Kerr or Carr?], George Divers, John Marks, William Shelton, Charles Goodman, Claudious Bustard do possession all the lands from Mechams River down to Carrs ford, the three Notched Road, down to Lewises old place. (Davis, p. 124)
- 23 Dec 1796 Henry Carter and Wife Sarah to Bland Ballard all of Albemarle Co. 150 acres on Meadow Creek for 150 L, adjacent land of John Shiflet decd, Martin Hawking, Roland Horsley and Martin Mooney Wit: Joseph Goodman, Thos Burton, Rowland Horsley Albemarle Co. Deed Book 12, p. 190-1