Goodmans of Davidson County Tennessee
Martin Armstrong, an official in Davidson County, TN, records in the County Minutes, on 20 Dec 1783, p. 99: "Received of Major (James Cole) Mountflorence the following warrants with the locations therein; to wit; (among others) No. 297, Capt. Wm. Goodman, 3840 acres …". (Re: The "Tennessee Genealogical Records: Records of Early Settlers from State and County Archives", by Edythe Rucker Whitley, pub. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1985, p. 205). This warrant was issued to Wm. Goodman’s heir, Jacob Goodman, on Nov. 10, 1783. In later records, Jacob is identified as the brother of Capt. William Goodman, deceased. Chloe Goodman, Capt. Wm. Goodman’s other heir, and probably his sister, was granted an additional 640 acres. Capt. Wm. Goodman served 84 months (7 years). Several references to this Capt. Wm. Goodman are contained in "Colonial Records of North Carolina", a multi-volume set, containing typed transcripts of much of the official documentation of that state for the early days through the end of the Revolutionary War.
Drury, Ferrill, Lewis and Terrell are all given and middle names that appear in the line of John Goodman who d. 1845, and whose descendants later lived in Lewis Co., TN and in Davidson Co., TN, the parent county of Wilson Co. Davidson Co. was the location of the 3840 ac. awarded to Jacob Goodman, brother and heir of the Capt. William Goodman of the 4th NC who was killed in the battle of Eutaw Springs, SC. Jacob Goodman subsequently sold all of those lands, and may have been the Jacob Goodman who is later mentioned in Anderson Co., TN, or may have been the one who settled in Barren Co., KY. A Drury Goodman also resided for a time in Barren Co., KY.